Tuesday, May 20, 2014

School vs. Grandparents

You know you're a homeschooler when...

~ the husband has to ask, "Is this a science experiment?" before he throws some moldy food away.

~ you joke at the dinner table about opening up a plant nursery and calling it "Turgor King".

~ the 6yo boy says, "If you do jazz hands with just one hand, it's just like you're waving."  (homeschool musical talk)

~ you grade kindergarten math, 3rd grade spelling, 8th grade literature, and 10th grade science all in the same evening.  (My brain...it burns!)

~ you can take a few days off of school because the grandparents are coming!

Dave's parents and my mom will be here Thursday.  They're going to help us out at camp this weekend (our annual Work Weekend), and then the in-laws are staying a few more days.

We are still behind in school.  We've caught up a little bit since the musical has finished up, so I hate to lose ground again, but we only see Ken & Gaynell once or twice per year.  Dave's dad turned 81 in March.  I'm not sure how many years he has left on this earth (he recently had some skin cancer removed from his forehead--that was scary).  We'll finish this school year eventually.  I would just kick myself if we did school full throttle while they were here, and then this ended up being our last time with the both of them.

We can maybe do a couple of subjects per day--or a field trip with the grandparents.

The nice thing about homeschooling is that I have a choice about this.  If the kids were in public/private school, they'd pretty much have to go to school for five out of the eight days their grandparents will be here.  I have to admit it.  I like being able to call the shots.

Grandparents WIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment