Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Kindle

For Mothers Day, Dave the kids got me a Kindle!  It's just the basic model, but I'm glad.  I'd just goof around on a Kindle Fire.  The goal is to read more.

And so far, I have!

Mostly, I've been reading homeschooling books (Lee Binz and Karen DeBeus).  I tried reading the Bible on the Kindle, but it's too fussy turning back and forth between passages.  I also downloaded a couple of classic novels--Emma and Pride & Prejudice.  It's funny; based on those two novels, the first book in my Kindle eBooks recommendations is The Anne of Green Gables Collection.  I think I'll wait a bit on that.  = )

For the most part, I still prefer real books.  I enjoy turning actual pages.  I like having more text per page than what the Kindle affords.  Plus, holding a paper book is somehow more comforting and homey to me than a digital contraption is.

However...

The Kindle is so portable.  I can carry a library in my purse!  Also, eBooks are generally less expensive than their paper counterparts.  Sometimes, they're free!  On top of that, if I've forgotten my reading glasses, I can easily change the text to a larger font size.  (That last one makes me sound older than I truly am.)

While the Kindle is a welcome addition to my literary way of life, I don't think I'll be clearing my bookshelves--too much--anytime soon.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them."
                                                                                                   ~ Mark Twain

What are you reading?  And how?

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading one regular book right now and one Kindle book.

    ReplyDelete