Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ice Skating

Even though we live in a small town, we are blessed with an indoor ice rink.  (Hockey is big here.)  And I'm so glad, because I'm not a winter person.  I love to ice skate.  But outside?  That's ridiculous!

Anyway, Lydia & I went skating tonight for the second Sunday in a row.  I think the only other time she'd ever been skating was when she was about four years old and I ended up pushing her around on a chair because she got so frustrated.  (They make it look so easy on TV, you know?)

This time around, she's had such a great attitude, telling herself things like, "You can do this, Lydia!" in a cheerful way.  She'd take a deep breath, exhale, and then push off for another go.  She fell a couple of times, but then brushed herself off and kept going.  "Mom, I have to persevere."  She makes me smile.  (Lydia's public school teacher last year was really great about teaching character as well as academics.  Perseverance was highly encouraged.)

Along with this great attitude, Lydia's been making great progress.  Last week she started with using an ice skating walker and, after about 45 minutes, graduated to holding my hand.  Tonight, she started with the walker, moved quickly to just holding my hand, and then she went a few times around the rink without either!  She had to grab the wall now and then, but she really did well.  After last Sunday's skate, I wasn't sore or the least bit tired.  With Lydia speeding things up a bit  tonight, I can't wait to go to bed, and I'm sure I'll be feelin' it tomorrow.

(Sorry I don't have any pictures for you.  I left my camera at my sister's house over Christmas, and she just mailed it on Friday.  I'll get some skating pic's next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment