Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Love a Parade

Our small town is great about parades.  There are three or four per year, and they come right up Main Street, which is three blocks from our house.  Yesterday was the homecoming parade.

Okay, first I have a gripe.  When the AMVETS start the parade, dressed in their uniforms and carrying the big flags, shouldn't the parade watchers stand?  Shouldn't we salute or put our hands on our hearts?  It really irks me when people just sit on their rears while these men and women of valor walk by carrying our symbol of freedom.  True, I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule that we should stand, but it seems a respectful (and easy!) thing to do.

Next in the parade came the fire engines carrying the football players. (BTW, they received more honor than the veterans.  No contest.)  The head coach is a wonderful Christian man.  We've known him for years.  When he was a kid, he actually went to the camp my husband now directs.  (He's a few years older than I am, but I went to camp with his youngest brother.)  Bill's wife and sister volunteer in the kitchen for a week each summer, and their girls help out with the dishes and bathrooms.  To top it off, Bill is a great coach.  = )

Samuel loved the parade, but he was a bit concerned at first.  He loves to SEE the fire engines...
 ...but not HEAR them.

 Here, Lydia and Jeffrey are warming up their hands before the candy gets thrown.

 The High School Marching Band

Samuel asked me to take this picture.  This was his favorite part of the parade (besides grabbing candy).

We now have enough Tootsie Rolls to last us until...well, I guess I never feel like we have a Tootsie Roll shortage, so...forever?

2 comments:

  1. Americana. Norman Rockwell. I love it. Twenty years from now your kids will remember going to parades, not the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate the mall. I might go to individual stores (like Target or Kohl's), but the whole mall? It drains me. I think Emma can count on one hand how many times she's been to a mall--and she's the oldest! It helps that we live in a small town, where all we have are strip malls. (Those aren't *real* malls, you know.)

    ReplyDelete