Sunday, November 3, 2013

Run Like the Wind

I'm not really a runner, but I want to be a runner.  Not sure why.  I think I've just always looked up to people who ran consistently.  It seems to me that it takes a lot of self-discipline, and I've always admired that quality in folks.

I also would really like to have runner's legs.  (I know.  I'm so deep.)

Disclaimer: These are not my legs.


In early summer I finally ran a mile straight without dying, and I was planning on running often throughout the summer with an August 5K in view.  Well, the 5K didn't fit with our camp schedule, and once that fell off my calendar, I lost my motivation.

When the kids started swimming lessons this fall, it was fairly easy for me to get a run in on the treadmill a couple of times a week while Lydia was in the pool.  So, that first five-week session I did two runs (walk/runs, really) and one day on the exercise bike (at home) per week.  This five-week session, Lydia's class got cancelled due to low enrollment.  None of the other class times worked with our schedule.  Therefore, I haven't had a decent workout in three weeks.

Enter today....
After cleaning out the mini-van for two hours (seriously), I decided to go for a walk before it got dark.  I was warm enough when I was vigorously vacuuming the van (nice alliteration, eh?), but once I got out on the trail, I was freezing.  It was 45 degrees, and there was a pretty chilly wind in my face.  But then, I ran like the wind.  I ran for 20 consecutive minutes.  Twenty.  And it wasn't even that hard.  Weird.  Looking back, I think I was simply trying to get warm.  My pace was pretty slow--5 mph--but I ran for about 1.7 miles, so that's a new record for me.  And I can only get faster from here.

Watch out runner's legs.  Here I come.  *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment